Friday, June 27, 2008

Devotions for Children

A couple of years I was inspired by a friend who went through the Shorter Catechism with their young children. I was amazed that at the age of 2 and 3 her children could answer 20 questions like, what is God? who made the world? what is sin? what are the 10 commandments?

So I went looking in Koorong for a similar list of questions and answers. I came across this book, My 1st Book of Questions and Answers by Carine Mackenzie for around $2.50. There are 114 questions, each question has an answer and a bible reference.

I started going through this book with my children and I was amazed at how easily they were able to remember the answers to these questions. One of the first questions our children learnt was question number 1.

Who made you?
God
Genesis 1:27

This is what the author says about her book.

Children of past generations were brought up with the immense benefit of learning the Shorter Catechism. A basic knowledge of Christian doctrine is vital in our day too.

This simple summary of some of the essentials of the faith compiled as a set of questions answers is aimed at helping a young child learn what everyone needs to know. ....

The learning of doctrine is not salvation by a good foundation of truth is valuable in combating false ideas which so easily divert young minds. Remember God's promise to his people, "I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts."

Teaching the children is our responsibility. Applying that truth to the child's heart is the Lord's work.

There are 3 other books the same size which we use for our morning devotions.

My 1st Book of Bible Promises

My 1st Book of Memory Verses

My 1st Book of Christian Values

Each day we usually go through a bible promise, a Christian value and revise a memory verse for the week. I am particularly enjoying going over the promises of God, they are such a wonderful encouragement and reminder of the security we can have in God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teaching your children this basic bible knowledge from such a young age is a great idea. When I was in year 2 at school, my teacher used to teach us a bible story each week such as the story of Joseph, Abraham etc. And that is where i gained alot of my bible knowledge as a young kid.

However, I was wondering one thing....and don't get me wrong, I do totally think that what you are doing is great and the right thing to do as I also take a similar approach with my children. But when I think of it, children can take on anyting that you teach them whether it is right or wrong but do they actually really understand what they are learinig or is it just head knowledge of being able to answer the same questions which they have been taught?? So whilst it is great that they know that "Jesus died for my sins" are they just saying what they have been told and taught to say?? But then again, I guess that's where they come to a point when they grow up and are able to really understand, they can make a decision for themselves, their faith becomes theirs, not just something their parents have taught them as children. I hope that you don't take offence to my comment but it something I often wonder about and it would be good to see what you think.

Felicity said...

Thank you for your comment! I often think the same thing, I need to aim my teaching at their hearts! We try to apply scripture to their every day living, like when they are scared at night, they know the verse "Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go". We help them learn the verse and then talk about how that relates to our every day life. I have a link to an article on 'Raising Pharisees' which addresses some of these issues. I also find that my personal example is what will have the biggest impact, if they that my joy is from God alone, then prayerfully they will desire God in the same way. I just feel a great responsiblity to place the truth in their hearts and minds, if its not there then what hope do they have of discerning the truth. It is a challenge for me to ensure I teach them a cheerful heart and in a way that makes them want to know more about God.
Felicity