Monday, September 1, 2008

A small picture of heaven

I came across an article recently and as I read it I was reminded about how important a godly home is, not only to our own family, but to every person who comes into our home, Christian and non-Christan.

The author quotes from Carolyn Mahaney's book, Feminine Appeal.

"In her excellent little book Feminine Appeal, Carolyn Mahaney ecourages women to build homes in which it's "impossible to keep from thinking about God" (100). Does this seem far fetched? Consider what a faithful father, a godly mother, obedient children, and perhaps even a holy grandparent or two pictures. Is it not a small picture of heaven?"

How wonderful would it be to have a home in which it is 'impossible to keep from thinking about God!'. I love decorating my home so I don't find it hard to think of ways to put verses, pictures, reminders about God around our home, but what is a challenge is maintaining that picture above of a faithful father, godly mother, obedient children. Its the whole undertone of a house that people will pick up, the way we speak to each other, the smiles, the fun, the sense that God is in control and the giver of all things, that He is foremost amongst us. This passage from one of my favourite books, Homemaking by J R Miller also reminds me of what our home should be like, and it cuts a bit deeper!.

"There is something infinitely more important than the mere recent performance of duties. There is an unconscious influence that hangs about every day life like an atmosphere, which is more important than the words of acts of the life.

There are many parents who fail in no duty, who are deeply anxious for their children, who really strive to make their home what it should be, and whose influence is not a benediction. When the results of life are all gathered up it will probably be seen that the things which have made the deepest and most lasting impressions in our homes and upon our children have not been the things we did with purpose and intention, planning to produce a certain effect, but the things we did when we were not thinking of training or influencing or affecting any other life.

A wise writer says,

'I look with wonder on that old time, and ask myself how it is that most of the things I suppose my father and mother built especially to mould me to a right manhood are forgotten and lost out of my life. But the things they hardly ever thought of - the shadow of blessing cast by the home, the tender, unspoken love, the sacrifices made and never thought of, it was so natural to make them, ten thousand little things so simple as to attract no notice, yet so sublime as I look back at them, - they fill my heart still and always with tenderness when I remember them and my eyes with tears.'"

I remember when I first read over this passage a couple of years ago, I struggled to remember all the details of my training, discipline etc. in my childhood, but like the writer above I can clearly remember there being huge unspoken love (even if it was hardly ever said in words), many sacrifices by my father and mother, and they were always available, to help, talk, etc. It makes me wonder what things really impact my children the most!

Still I want to strive to create that small picture of heaven and grant them a childhood that they can reflect upon in joy and delight, and where people who enter our house feel welcomed and aware of the presence of God.

0 comments: