Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I wish the tooth fairy was real

My oldest daughter lost her first tooth on Saturday! It was a rather dramatic experience, there was no lead up to it, it wasn't wobbling, it just came out - with lots of blood!

We were in the car on our way back from Ikea and she just started crying and she had her tooth in a tissue and blood coming out. The blood was what made her cry, she hates it! It was very exciting to see her lose her first tooth, but I haven't seen her cry so much for a long time!

Her brother was not so tolerant of the crying he said, 'Mummy, I just can't deal with all this crying!'

After a while the bleeding stopped, and was rather proud of her lost tooth. She looks very cute with one tooth missing.

Most of her friends at school have already lost one or more teeth, so she has heard lots about the tooth fairy. She asked her father a few weeks ago if the tooth fairy was real, and he said...no, 'but I can come and put some money under your pillow.' She has yet to believe him, that the tooth fairy is not real, and she did not want him to put money under her pillow.

She has been waiting since Saturday night for the real tooth fairy to come, today she has written a note to the tooth fairy to tell her about her tooth - I wish she was real, I hate it when my kids get disappointed. But her friends at school tell her that they have seen the tooth fairy and that she has come to their house, so she is determined to wait for her, although I can sense an element of disappointment that she has not come yet, I think she must feel forgotten.

It will be an interesting lesson for her to learn, she will keep waiting and she will not come. I am so glad though that I can pass on to her the truths about Jesus and that He is real. And to teach her about the wonder of prayer, and waiting, and that though there are not fairies, there are angels all around looking after her, fighting hard to keep away the evil that is lurking about. And that one day Jesus will come back, that when we look up into the clouds, that is a reminder that one day He will return in the clouds. I am so glad I can pass on these truths to her, I look forward to the days when she sees God at work in her life and in the life of her family, when it hits her that He really is real and that He is all powerful!

Still the idea of a tooth fairy is so nice, I wish she was real...!

2 comments:

JMBMOMMY said...

It is so hard--huh? I understand! We haven't had to talk about the tooth fairy yet...but Santa is a big one around here. My little girl wants him to be real...and even though she says he isn't...I think she longs for him to be....but I told her we refuse to let him steal the birthday party for Jesus. I ask her how she would feel if someone showed up every year and took all her presents, her friends, her decorations,etc. and claimed they were NOT hers--she said--I would be so sad and probably mad. Then a small light came on....but I agree to joy of seeing them believe the TRUTHS is worth a little disappointment here with Santas and Fairies.

Anonymous said...

i love the above comment about santa stealing the birthday party for Jesus!!! i'm filing that one away. :)

i dunno...isn't a daddy who offers to give money instead of the tooth fairy a pretty good deal?!?! i reckon that'd be enough to satisfy my longing for the tooth fairy--after all, the TF's only point is to bring money. :D

love you, flicko! :)