Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Reality check

Yesterday was a reality check day for me.

I was fighting with lies and thoughts in my mind which made me feel unloved. I should have seen it coming as we have just finished the book, "Lies Young Women believe". I felt attacked and struck down, but God in His great mercy allowed that time for me to take a reality check and examine my heart.

I am thankful for such a wonderful husband who, God sent to minister to me and serve me. But it wasn't until this morning after spending time with the Lord, that I realised how much I needed yesterday.

I needed to experience the victory, needed to examine my heart and confess, needed my husband to minister to me and to allow him to, needed this morning with God.

When I was feeling low, I even battled with the thought that God can't really make me happy, is He really out there, is He enough? I couldn't believe I was having those thoughts, I know the truth so well, but I pushed them out of my mind, and God sent along my husband to help me through!

Its so easy to get caught up in doing things, and if everything is all going well, there's a part of me that thinks I am doing OK and don't need God as much, but I am so thankful that He reminds me how much I need to surrender everything to Him, that when I am doing it in my strength I am doing it my way, not His!

This morning I reflected on this truth from the book I mentioned earlier.

When you want things to go YOUR way
Its not about me; it's all about Him (Colossians 1:116-18; Revelation 4:11)!
The world was not created to revolve around us. The entire universe was created to revolve around Christ. If our goal in life is to be happy or accepted or loved, than anything that threatens our well-being will be an enemy - an obstacle to fulfilling our objective. On the other hand, once we agree with God that we exist for His pleasure and glory, we can accept whatever comes into our lives as part of His sovereign will and purpose. We will not resent, resist, or reject the "hard things", but embrace them as "friends," designed by God to make us like Jesus and to bring glory to Himself.

I am thankful for this "friend" that God allowed to come into my life yesterday, it was a reminder about how much I need Him, and its all about Him.

4 comments:

Jewelz said...

Thanks heaps!
Can you pray for me? I did something hard that had to be done on Monday, and I'm trying to leave it in God's hands and not worry, but I'm struggling. Please pray for God's peace, and that all things will work together for good.

Stitchingmum said...

Thank you for sharing your heart Felicity, and whilst I don't know particularly what's going on in your life at the moment, I can so relate to your words. Even in my to-date short walk with Christ, I feel like I should know by now that we can never be complacent in our relationship with Christ, that like any relationship, it takes conscious effort and 'work', but I often forget this, and every now and again look around and see that life has 'fallen apart' to some degree. And then I usually realise I've neglected my relationship with Christ, have been doing it 'my' way, and that doesn't often produce great results, lol. Thanks again for sharing Felicity, I love reading your thoughts :-)

JMBMOMMY said...

I understand -- I described what happened to me today as an AMBUSH in my bible study blog!!! This is kinda long...but I am going to copy/paste my post from that blog.

Ambushed

"Satan TOTALLY attacked me today. But I feel some peace in the middle of the attack -- like God whispered you need to see your ugliness about this stuff to see the root of the problem. I felt like throwing a HUGE tantrum -- and did throw a mini one. I know that He is asking me to surrender it but today my grip was tight. I knew if I opened my hand it would feel as if I was giving up. How is that for a lie?? But it is saying to God--I trust you with the timing of this. I trust you to give me peace even though this thing I have been trying so hard to change myself and control is most likely NOT going to change over night--or in the next decade!!! So today I decided that maybe I would release it...then my flesh went into a raging fit at the thought--and literally went into a moment of ranting as if it was the finale of an era!!! It ended in emotional exhaustion. And I realized that surrender isn't going to be easy. I am wrestling with the truth that I am not to decide what is good. Because IF I were deciding...I would just wave my wand--it would change--and I would move on to healthier relationships. I am really seeing the need of prayer over all of us doing this study. I am for once a little excited to go through the pain I feel today---because even though my heart is feeling the pain my eyes are on the Saviour and what He is up to in my life. I know it is good since He is allowing it. "

Let's keep replacing these lies with TRUTH!!!

Becky said...

It was good reading this particular post. I pray that God would also provide me with that 'friend' who can help me with my trials and remind me that God is enough. You and Henry are special, i really value your advice and friendship!

love becky =]