Friday, August 29, 2008

We are never alone

Last night our 5 year old son reminded us of a wonderful truth. He was telling us how at Kindy he doesn't always play with his friends, sometimes he likes to play by himself, but

"I know I am never alone because God is always with me."

My husband and I looked at each other in shock! This is something he has meditated on and knows deep in his heart, that God is always with him.

When I pray for my children I almost always pray that they will know that God is with them, and that they will know that God loves them very much, no matter what they have done. It was very exciting to hear him put one of these amazing truths into practice, when he is at Kindy he is happy to play by himself, knowing that God is right there with him!

As my children get older I know that I can't be with them all the time, like I could when they were babies! They start to stay at friends houses for a few hours, then they start Kindy, then school, then one day they will be out there on their own.

When my first child started Kindy, I had to let her go willingly and with a heart that trusted God to take care of her. God is the one in control of their lives, not me!

It is my responsibility to teach them and remind them often that God is always with them, to help them have a relationship with Him so they can call upon Him for themselves in times of trouble.

I pray that our son and the rest of our children will always remember this truth, that God is always with them. So that in times of trouble, loneliness, temptation, fear, joy, sadness, suffering, or insecurity, they can call upon the name of the Lord and He will help them.

...For He Himself has said,
"I will never leave you nor forsake you."
So we may boldly say:

"The Lord is my helper:
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:6

4 comments:

Becky said...

thanks for the reminder Felicity! Just what i needed =)

Jewelz said...

Wow! That's so true! Now if I can just remember that, I'll be fine! :P

Dani Smith said...

i love that your son knows that Truth at such a young age...i know it in my mind, but have yet to really experience God as a companion or close friend. it brings tears to my eyes to know you little ones are growing up with that experience. how lovely!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Felcity, I have been thinking a lot about trusting God to take care of my children and that He is in control of their lives. Thanks for that reminder again today. Thanks also for reminding me of Hebrews 13:6. I will be in touch again soon, love Sarah