Saturday, August 30, 2008

Being thankful for bad days!

As I write this post tonight I am so aware of God's mercy, His sovereignty, His kindness, love, faithfulness, ..... The past few hours have been such a struggle to truly love my children unconditionally!

It is so hard sometimes to love them when little things they do can be so frustrating! I am so glad that God is in control of their lives, and that even if I make mistakes or lose it as a parent, He forgives me and can still use my mistakes and sin for good. It is comforting to know that "all things word together for good" (Romans 8:28).

I am such a perfectionist at heart and I have these dreams of living perfect days, walking closely with God, loving my husband, children and others unconditionally, sincerely and without hypocrisy, to be stress and anxiety free able to face any trial that comes my way with quietness and meekness of heart....but I know I am far from experiencing those days. That's why I am now basking in God's forgiveness, in awe of His amazing salvation, and I am so convinced that I can't do it on my own, I need to trust Him and acknowledge Him in all I do.

I can try as hard as I like to persuade my children into being saved, into being good all the time, into working hard and being nice to everyone they meet (and to their brothers and sisters!) but if God doesn't work in their hearts, then my work is in vain. As I was reminded yesterday by a friend, all we can do is pray for them...diligently pray for them, commit them into God's care and allow Him to do the work in their hearts.

I am learning to be thankful for bad days, because they remind me of my need for God, to earnestly call upon Him in my times of trouble. They cause me to stop, confess my sins (which are many) and acknowledge to Him my dependence and trust. God knows my heart and every desire I have for my children, I need to trust in Him to bring them to pass, not try and do things my way or in my own strength.

And....I am thankful for a new day tomorrow, and I can't wait for Heaven!

"Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed,
because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning:
Great is Your faithfulness.
'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul, 'Therefore I hope in Him!'.
Lamentations 3:22-24

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Felicity, Your blog is timely for me! Thanks for the reminder to pray for my kids and to trust in God. Sarah xx

Chief said...

Hey flick,
this post is just what i needed to read, i've really been struggeling latly and I constently forget that I just can't do it in my own strength and that I do need God. Thanks again. Steph xx