Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Love the Word

I love the Word of God. I never really used to, up until only a year or so ago, I have to admit that I found it hard to open up my Bible, it felt like a task to do, something that I should do, and when I didn't do it, I felt guilty!

But I am so thankful to God that He has given me a hunger for His Word. Over the weekend I didn't read it much at all, and I felt hungry, and somewhat weak. But the past few days I have been feeding on it again, and I feel stronger, satisfied again, in God alone.

We have just started a book club and the first book we are reading is called Lies Young Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Dannah Gresh. Have you ever considered how many lies you believe? There are so many bombarding messages surrounding us that are full of lies, and our country is so materialistic that we easily believe the messages that Satan is trying to mislead us with. With so many different forms of media out there (my blog included!) we can so easily fall into the trap of thinking we need to watch TV, we need to read magazines and books, we need to go on the Internet every free moment we have. I know sometimes I go to these things when I need inspiration, encouragement, instruction, when I am down or even just to enjoy myself - there's nothing wrong with doing that, but if these places are the first place I go to, and not the Bible for answers, encouragement, inspiration, satisfaction etc. then maybe they are wrong for me.

We get trapped into thinking the lie that God's word is not enough, that its irrelevant to our current situation, that its boring and hard work! But its not, here is a list of some of what God's word does for us taken from Psalm 119.

  • It blesses us (v1,2)
  • It keeps our way pure and helps us not to sin (v9,11)
  • It delights us, counsels us, revives us, strengthens us (v 24-28)
  • It gives us life (v50)
  • It teaches us good knowledge and judgement (v66)
  • It is better than thousands of coins of gold and silver (v72)
  • It is faithful (v86)
  • It makes us wiser than our enemies (v98)
  • It gives us understanding more than our teachers (v99)
  • It makes us hate every false way (v104)
  • It is sweeter than honey (v103)
  • It is a light to our path (v105)
  • It makes our heart rejoice (v111)
  • It is pure, everlasting, truth (v129,144,160)
  • It is a great treasure (v162)
  • It gives peace (v165)
  • It causes us not to stumble (v165)
  • It delivers us (v169)
  • and so much more.....

Isn't the Word of God amazing! And as I was reminded when I started reading the book I mentioned above, we need to be in it so much more than ever before so we can discern what those lies are and whether they are true.

Sometimes we may not even see that we are believing a lie, until we start reading the Word, it starts to expose the lies and shine the truth, because the Holy Spirit is working through us as we read His Word. The word of God is a weapon to fight off Satan and the lies we are bombarded with.

I have been challenged lately to take more time to read the Word, I know I love reading it when I have my time in the morning, so why don't I long for it more during the day? I know for me I need to cultivate that habit and ask God to prompt me to turn to His word instead of the computer, a book, a magazine, even if its just to have some down time, how much more enriched my mind will be if I choose to meditate on the Word instead.

And for the sake of my children, I am their teacher, and the words that come from my mouth need to reflect an understanding and a delight in God's Word.

I have rejoiced in Your testimonies, as much as in all riches... Psalm 119:14

This verse reminds me that there is nothing more precious and satisfying than rejoicing in the Word of God.

If you don't have a love for the Word of God, ask God to give you a hunger for it, I am confident He will answer your prayer.

1 comments:

JMBMOMMY said...

Okay. Wow. 1st -- I just had a long conversation about reading God's Word, it's importance, and if, why, and how will we have that craving for it. So when I saw you posted on it-I was delighted. AND I am reading the same book!!!! Started it a few nights ago :)