Thursday, January 1, 2009

My thankful list from 2008

I woke up this morning thinking about the new year then soon realised that I had not spent anytime thinking about the year just gone by! Last year I wrote a list of all the things I was thankful for at the end of 2007, so I thought I would do the same for 2008. When I first started my mind was blank, I knew I had so many things to be thankful for, but.... what were they again?!

Here are some of them (I am sure I will think of many more as the day goes by).

The biggest thing I am thankful for in 2008 is for the opportunities to learn so much more about the amazing grace of God. Unfortunately that has come from watching and listening to many of my friends this year go through deep and and difficult hardships, I am so thankful to many of them for sharing with me, for the things I have learned from them. God desires to have such intimacy in our lives, for us to find such joy and delight in Him, yet even when we don't find that in Him He is still so gracious, so faithful, so unconditionally loving, and He never changes

I am thankful to God for giving me a deeper understanding and longing for Heaven. I have gained a perspective on eternity which has changed the way I live my life and the choices I make. It makes this world we live in feel so very temporary!

I am so thankful for the opportunity to read some great books with our book club. I have loved the chance to read and the times of discussion and edification with my fellow readers.

I thankful to God for giving me a more thankful spirit. I am learning to be thankful in all things, especially in the good things, the blue sky, the pretty flowers, good health, husband, children, friends, family, a place to live....if I develop a thankfulness in these every day things, then I have more likely to be thankful when the hard times come.

I am thankful for all the wonderful answers to prayer I have seen in my life and in the lives of those around me, all praise and glory go to God alone for His faithfulness.

I am thankful for new friendships, for depth in current ones, and for the rekindling of old ones (particularly through facebook!).

I am thankful for the years spent with our favourite wedding present, our German Shepherd Rickey who passed away a few months ago. I miss her lots, but I am thankful to God for sharing in her life!

I am thankful to God for my precious children who not only are a joy to have around, but they teach me so much about life. They test me, teach me, encourage me and accept me so much for who I am.

I am thankful for my wonderful husband who is ever so patient, loving, forgiving, to me. We celebrated 10 years of marriage this year, and it it only getting better! We have both changed so much in so many years, but I am thankful that we have changed together and that we have helped each other change - for the better, slowly striving to be more Christlike. He still is the one who makes me laugh every day, who understands my ways, who gives wonderful cuddles and who gives such fantastic hairbrushes and massages!

And I am thankful for the opportunity to blog, I have enjoyed writing down my thoughts and daily happenings and for the comments and encouragements along the way.

I look forward to 2009 for the opportunity to serve and worship God, it is such a joy to be His child, and how awesome would it be if this was the year we all joined Him in the air....!

1 comments:

JMBMOMMY said...

thanks for sharing your thankful list...get reminders. I am thankful for your blogging too! :)