Friday, November 21, 2008

A week without Rickey

So it's been one whole week since our precious dog Rickey died. I was surprised at how miserable and flat I was all last weekend and at the beginning of the week.


There's a part of me that felt really bad for feeling really bad (hope that makes sense). Here I was feeling very sad and despondent about my dog dying when there are so many other people around me and throughout the world experiencing such greater losses and hardships...But I can't pretend that it didn't impact me in a big way, thank you Julie for sharing your story about the bond you had with your dog.

Even though it has only been a week, I have to say that we have already started talking about our next dog. I couldn't talk to anyone about it for at least 3 or 4 days after she died, but now I have been giving it some serious thought, and discussion with my husband!

We definitely do want to get another dog, there was never any question about that. Whilst it is so convenient not having to look after a dog, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

The question we are now facing is what kind of dog should we get. I have never really had the opportunity to pick any dog I want before. Rickey was a gift to us, so we never got to choose her, and my mum chose most of the dobermans we had (and there was never any other option but doberman!).

It's something we are both researching. We both have similar qualities that we would like in a dog, we just have differing opinions in what size (sometimes), colour, fur length, facial expressions...! We have both agreed that we don't want a small dog, I am used to having reasonably big dogs around, they provide me with a sense of protection. And of course it needs to get on well with children.

So out of interest sake, what are your thoughts on what kind of dog we should get? Any recommendations or suggestions?

4 comments:

momstheword said...

Hello! I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. We lost my dog and my dad within a week of one another. We, too, had to put our dog down due to severe pain, the vet said it looked like cancer.

Due to the fact that I missed my beloved daddy so much (and my dog) we soon got a rescue dog from the pound. We now have a new puppy too. You can never replace a dog, but you can find room in your heart to love one more.

I have never had big dogs, only little one so can't recommend. Labs are really friendly though!

BTW, I am a pastor's wife too.

Chief said...

Hey flick,

Our first pet og we got was a Kelpie x Staffy (Kiah), mum and dad got her befor I was born, and she addapter really well to children. She became very beloved by our family and she had the best temprement, she always knew were she stood and that she was love, despite the myrid of other pets we had.
We too had to put her down and that was a very sad day for our family.
Our next dog was by coincidence another Kelpie x Staffy (Molly), she too desplays similar qualities to Kiah, loyal loving and just a beautiful temprament.
...So I recomend a Kelpie X Staffy. There not an ovally big dog but thier not small either. That's the dog I would pick if I had to pick again.

Anonymous said...

Hey Flick, as a dog lover with two retreivers, I would have to recommend either a labrador or golden retreiver.
They are wonderful with kids, easy to train and I don't know if its just ours but they don't bark much. You get a bit of a fright when they do bark 'coz its rare and loud.
They also couldn't care if there's thunder.
They love people and food, so will do anything for you if food is involved. They are more than happy to have little people clambour all over them.
I would definately recommend whatever you do, get a puppy. This way, they will easily learn where they are in the family order, get used to the kids around and the kids would just adore a puppy.

Anonymous said...

have you checked out the selectapet site? I'll check out the address for you. That way you can decide based on what you want and what the dog breed needs. Even if it's a bitsta it will have certain traits of the breeds in its mix. I loved our labX, our poodle, our bull terrierX and even Bernie. If I could get a poodle (no casting) crossed with a collie (soft as butter and really smart) with a bit of Husky for the blue eyes.... Hey, it's usually more about how the owners are than the dog itself, so whatever breed or cross you get, it will be a part of your family and well loved.