Friday, November 14, 2008

I hope Rickey will be in Heaven


Today we said goodbye to our precious furry friend and companion, Rickey.
She was given to us when she was 3 months old as a wedding present, 10 years ago

I had always lived with a dog, so I couldn't wait to get one when I was married. I had wanted a cat as well, but my husband was not so convinced.

Two weeks after we got back from our honeymoon, my husband informed me that we were going down to the animal shelter. I asked him why, and his response was that we were just going to have a look at some cats. I tried not to get too excited!

When we got down there, it didn't take me long to fall in love with a very affectionate, unusual looking cat. I went in and she was all over me straight away. I brought my husband over, and he too thought she was very special. So much to my delight we went home with a cat, and called her Mooshka.

My husband thought that if we were to ever get a cat we should get it before the puppy came, so the cat could make her standing as boss!
So 2 weeks later Rickey arrived, and the first time Mooshka saw her she went to scratch her. Rickey was about the same size as her, and she cowered!

We have so many fond memories of Rickey in our early years of marriage. For us the early years were difficult and Rickey was such a comfort to me in many ways. She was so fun and affectionate and was such a reliable, trustworthy dog.

She loved her ball and she was a great soccer and basketball player (many of our friends can testify to that!)
During our 10 years of marriage we have lived in 6 different houses for varying periods and Rickey and Mooshka have been with us each time. She was such a good dog and settled in well wherever we were.

When I fell pregnant with my first child, one of my biggest concerns was how Rickey would respond to a baby. She had never really been exposed to any before, and all those horror stories about dog attacks etc. started to worry me.

But prayer is such a blessed thing, I did lots of praying about Rickey and our new baby. And praise be to God, she has been such a wonderful dog to all of our children, she has never shown any signs of jealousy. She has been so patient, gentle, tolerant and fun to play with.

I was brought up with dobermans, 2 of them were often unpredictable. Although they never bit or harmed anyone, I learnt how to be careful, and respectful around them. I have always wanted to have a big dog around our children, it is a good opportunity to teach them how to handle dogs, to treat them with respect and carefulness, and to not be afraid of them.

Over the past 2 years Rickey has had trouble with her ears. Apparently her ear canals are very thin and dirt etc. gets blocked in them easily which then lead to infections. 2 years ago we thought she would have to have a $1500 operation to open up the canals so they wouldn't get infected anymore, but she seemed to get better with a dose of antibiotics the infections stayed away.

But a couple of months ago they got infected again, so we took her to the vet for more antibiotics, they healed up, but I noticed a few days ago she was scratching again. Each time these infections come they cause her a lot of pain, and she howls when she scratches her ears, it was so sad to see her in such pain and discomfort.

Yesterday I heard her snap at one of the younger two children, I didn't see what happened but from what I can tell one of them pushed the other accidentally into Rickey and being startled, she growled back. Thankfully she didn't bite her, but no. 4 was pretty upset.
She has been such a gentle wonderful dog, not a nasty bone in her, but I know what it's like when you are in pain, you are more irritable and can't handle surprises. She was scared when no. 4 fell into her and she responded out of fear. I spent the rest of the day observing her and noticed that she was walking very slowly everywhere and spend most of the day lying down when usually she is running up and down the fence, with the dog next door. I wondered whether she was experiencing pain all through her body, not just in her ears.

Later that day we made the decision to get her put down. She was in pain and we couldn't risk her biting one of the children or anyone else, due to her being in pain. I would have such regrets if anything ever happened, and it would be such an awful memory to have of her.

So last night and this morning we cherished our last moments with her, it was very sad to try and imagine her not being with us. She was such a cuddly dog, just like a bear. We explained what was happening to the kids and they seemed to understand.

My husband took her to the vet this morning, she could hardly climb into his car, it seemed like a big effort for her. He found it very sad and emotional, but I am so thankful to him for doing it.

I spent the whole day out, so when I got home, the backyard felt so empty. I have always hated it when she had to go to the vet and wasn't home, but now I will have to get used to it :(

But I am so thankful for her, she has been with us through so much happiness, sadness, and life changes. She has been one of the few constant, things in our life (apart from God!). I will miss her immensely.

I am comforted by these thoughts by Randy Alcorn though, this is taken from an article called Do dogs go to Heaven.

"In her excellent book, Holiness in Hidden Places, Joni Eareckson Tada says, 'If God brings our pets back to life, it wouldn't surprise me. It would be just like him. It would be totally in keeping with his generous character. . . Exorbitant. Excessive. Extravagant in grace after grace. Of all the dazzling discoveries and ecstatic pleasures heaven will hold for us, the potential of seeing Scrappy would be pure whimsy—utterly, joyfully, surprisingly superfluous. . . Heaven is going to be a place that will refract and reflect in as many ways as possible the goodness of joy of our great God, who delights in lavishing love on his children......'

We needn't be embarrassed either to grieve the loss of our pets or to want to see them again. If we believe God is their creator, that He loves us and them, that He intends to restore His creatures from the bondage they experienced because of our sin, then we have biblical grounds for not only wanting but also expecting that we may be with them again on the New Earth."

And I love this poem by John Piper Alcorn quotes in the article.

And as I knelt beside the brook
To drink eternal life,
I took A glance across the golden grass,
And saw my dog, old Blackie, fast
As she could come.
She leaped the stream—
Almost—and what a happy gleam
Was in her eye.
I knelt to drink
And knew that I was on the brink
Of endless joy.
And everywhere I turned I saw a wonder there.
Thank you Lord for such a wonderful dog.

4 comments:

JMBMOMMY said...

This is so sad. I am so sorry for your loss. I know even when you know it is the best thing..it is hard.

Juliemotherof4 said...

Oh Felicity I know of the loss you are feeling. Your blog has brought memories flooding back to me of my own loss when my true and faithfull friend Molly Dog had to be put down a week after Anthony and I were married. She was a Jack Russell and absolutely full of spirit. Before we had baby 1(approx 12 years ago), Anthony and I lost a pregnancy and my maternal instict did not want to budge. Anthony suggested i get a puppy bacause I had wanted a dog for a while and as silly as it may sound it was a really good idea. I had decided i wanted a female Jack russell and she would be named Molly. Well we could not find a female Jack russell pup anywhere (now there is as least 2 in the paper every week!)Eventually there was and we travelled all the way to Lamaroo to get her! She was the last pup left and I loved her from the second the farmer held her up in the air and said "sorry only the runt is left". We took her home and she turned out to be the most beautifully natured dog with loads of humour! We to were worried how she would be when baby no. 1 came along(afterall I treated her like a baby), but to our suprise she never gave any indication of feeling threatened at all. Molly and baby 1 became best friends, especially when baby 1 used to pass her food to molly under the table from her highchair and ofcourse we thought baby 1 was a really good eater until we realised one day!
During a very difficult period in our lives in which Anthony I seperated, Molly was so aware of my sadness and would comfort me the best way she knew how.
Unfortunately Molly suffered from bad joints in her legs and eventually her whole body was affected. It was so sad to see her in pain. I made the decission to take her to the vet myself and it was one of the hardest things i've had to do. She died with her head on my shoulder, when I was sad that is where she would place her head to comfort me and bacause I was crying she comforted me till her last breath. Anthony burried her in our back yard under a tree where she used to try and hide her balls, we had a little memorial service and we spoke of our favourite memories of her.We often watch our video tapings of her with laughter and sadness. I don't know if we will get another dog in the future, it would have some pretty big holes to fill!
Hope you didn't mind me sharing this with you Felicity, your story made me want to tell you about our Molly and to let you know that Rickey was blessed to have a family like you. xx

Anonymous said...

i was shocked to read that rickey was gone! i'm sorry. you know i'm not really a pet person but i know that you are and she certainly has been around for a while! it will even be weird for me to visit and not see her...

Chief said...

Ricky was beautiful, I was so sad to hear she was gone. But she was lucky to have you as her family. She was truly blessed.
P.S. the good time never fade away unless you let them. I still remember our first dog Kiah, she was beautiful.