Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Young Mother

Just before I was pregnant with number 1 child, I listened to a sermon by John MaCarthur called Hannah: A Godly Mother . This was the sermon that gave me purpose for having kids!

It wasn't long (only a month or two) after listening to this sermon that we decided to start trying and then got pregnant!

I decided to listen to it again because I was teaching about Hannah in Sunday school last Sunday, and listening to this message again, now that I have children has been very inspiring and challenging!

I was moved by this story he read out, its a bit long, but worth the read!


"The young mother set her foot on the path of life.
Is the way long, she asked?
And her guide said yes and the way is hard and you will be old before you reach the end of it but the end will be better than the beginning.
But the young mother was happy and she would not believe
that anything could be better than these years.
So she played with her children and gathered flowers for them
along the way and bathed with them in the clear streams.
And the sun shone on them and life was good and the young mother cried,
`Nothing will ever be lovelier than this.'
And then night came and storm and the path was dark and the children shook with fear and cold and the mother drew them close and covered them with her mantle and the children said,
`O mother, we're not afraid for you are near and no harm can come.'
And the mother said,
`This is better than the brightness of day for I have taught my children courage.'

"And the morning came and there was a hill ahead and the
children climbed and grew weary and the mother was weary.
But at all times she said to the children,
`A little patience and we'll be there.'
So the children climbed and when they reached the top they said, `
We could have not done it without you, mother.'
And the mother when she lay down that night looked up at the stars and said,
`This is a better day than the last for my children have learned strength in the face of hardness. Yesterday I gave them courage, today I have given them strength.'

"And the next day came strange clouds which darkened the earth,
clouds of war and hate and evil.
And the children groped and stumbled and the mother said,
`Look up, lift your eyes to the light.'
And the children looked and saw above the clouds an everlasting glory
and it guided them and brought them beyond the darkness.
And that night mother talked of Jesus and said,
`This is the best day of all for I have shown my children God.'

"And the days went on and the weeks and the months and the years.
And the mother grew old and she was little and bent.
But the children were tall and strong and walked with faith and courage.
And when the way was rough they lifted her for she was as light as a feather.
And at last they came to a hill and beyond the hill they could see a
shining road and golden gates flung wide.
And the mother said,
`I have reached the end of my journey and now I know that the end is better than the beginning for my children can walk alone for they walk with God.'
And the children said,
`You will always walk with us, mother,
even when you've gone through the gates to the Savior.'
And they stood and watched her as she went on alone and the gates closed behind her.
And they said, `We cannot see her but she is still with us,
a mother like ours is more than a memory, she is a living presence.'"

0 comments: